The month of January is full of self-reflection, resolutions and usually includes an upset stomach or two from all the wonderful food consumed at all those holiday gatherings. We wake up to a fresh New Year’s Day morning and find ourselves feeling a year older and (hopefully) a year wiser. But so many times our resolutions remain the same year after year and we fall into an endless cycle of feeling unaccomplished. Why? Because we’re human! Because our daily lives and responsibilities can get in the way of our dreams and plans. Because it’s hard to change.
But what we need to realize, is that change IS possible. All change takes is creating a solid plan, building a new approach and of course, gathering up some dedication.
Need some motivation? Here are some tips to help you achieve your goals this year.
1. Tunnel Vision. Stick with one specific resolution. Too many resolutions will overextend your efforts and feel overwhelming.
2. Stay Focused. Create little reminders: By putting a daily, recurring reminder on your phone, a post-it on your mirror, we can keep ourselves centered and make it easier to reestablish our intention and goals when things get busy.
3. Expect little stumbles. Understand that life is not all or nothing. If you get sidetracked, hit a bump or fall behind, it doesn’t mean that you should give up. Life will test you and maybe knock you down a few times, but know that you’re strong enough to get back up and continue on.
4. Reward yourself. Think of little gifts to give yourself as you make strides and get closer to achieving your goal. Little incentives will help keep you motivated to continue.
5. Keep it positive. Consider this as challenge or a competition with yourself. It won’t be easy but nothing will be able to beat the feeling of being proud of yourself for attaining your goal.
Here’s to a very happy, healthy and thriving New Year.